How to Create a Top-Down RPG in Unity: Character and Saving
- Game Development
- Project length: 7h 46m
Role-playing games (abbreviated as RPG) can sometimes be complicated beasts to create, with several interactive gameplay mechanics required. In this project tutorial, I want to make it easy for you: you’ll learn how to quickly create a wonderful top-down RPG while acquiring essential skills to accelerate your workflow in Unity. Do you want to learn how to create a thrilling RPG but do not know where to begin? Do you want to learn how to make the most of the Unity engine to create amazing games? Then, you need this project to take your game development skills to the next level.
This project tutorial will go over the starting setup as well as the basic requirements for creating any top-down RPG in Unity. We’ll be focusing on the creation of a character, assigning their attributes and name, developing the game’s basic UI, creating controls, as well as saving and loading character information using JSON. These set of features are very important for creating any type of RPG that players will love. Ultimately, the analysis and coding sessions will set the groundwork for a good top-down RPG!
What are the requirements?
To ensure that you grasp the concepts in this project of creating a top-down RPG in unity, you need to have the following skills:
- C#, Basic++ (Intermediate level)
- Desire to learn new techniques
- Lots of imagination
Who is the target audience?
- You love RPGs
- You're curious about RPG creation
- You love creating all sorts of games
What will you learn after finishing this project?
- How to create amazing 2D top-down games
- How to build and integrate RPG features in any type of video game
- How to use the Unity engine to accelerate the functionalities of your game
- How to use various workflow tips to increase the efficiency and speed of creating games
When are the streaming sessions (streaming schedule)?
Daily, 5 p.m. EST starting Wednesday, September 19th, 2018 until the sessions are finished
Session 1: Tutorial objectives and environment setup
We’ll start by going over some important points, doing comparisons, analyzing how some established top-down franchises did the gameplay, and outlining what we want to achieve in this project tutorial.
- Session 1.1: Top-down RPG examples analysis
- Session 1.2: What we want to achieve in this series
- Session 1.3: Installing Unity and Visual Studio
Session 2: Adding character related scripts
We need to set up our character first, since he or she is the protagonist! We'll give the character health, mana, level, experience, name, and basic stats like strength and intelligence. We'll also add movement to the character as well as very simple animations.
- Session 2.1: Character sprites and abstract.
- Session 2.2: Character controller and animations.
- Session 2.3: Finishing animations, adding health and mana interactivity.
Session 3: UI setup
We really need a nice User Interface to assist us complete the remaining parts. So, we’ll set everything up here, including some hotkeys and screen transitioning elements.
- Session 3.1: Planning screen structure
- Session 3.2: Creating all the UI visually
- Session 3.3: Adding a View Manager to deal with transitions and other UI aspects
Session 4: Character creation, saving and loading them
What is a good RPG without the capability to save your game? In this section, we'll add this very important feature to our game.
- Session 4.1: How saving/loading works
- Session 4.2: Character creation
- Session 4.3: Stats coding
- Session 4.4: Saving/Loading scripting and UI
- Session 4.5: Fixes and Polish
Session 5: Recap and Q&A
Recapping the concepts learnt and Q&A
- Visual Studio