How to Create Top-Down RPG in Unity: Enemy AI and Generation
- Game Development
- Project length: 6h 07m
Let's develop a great RPG enemy AI! In these tutorials we'll be analyzing and experimenting with different types of enemies, AI, behaviors and also randomly generating them to make the player feel like there's more enemy variety than there really is.
How to Create Top-Down RPG in Unity: Enemies AI and Generation
This tutorial series will help anyone who wants to create a top-down RPG with the enemy part of the structure of their game. It's very important to have enemies who are convincing and entertaining for the player, so we'll be creating several types of them. It will be a really fun experience!
What are the requirements?
- Visual Studio
What is the target audience?
- RPG enthusiasts
- You're in need of a RPG enemy structure and base ideas
- Anyone who wants to make an RPG!
When are the streaming sessions (streaming schedule)?
Daily at 2 pm EST , starting Wednesday September 26th and until we're finished.
Session 1: Project Scope and Checking installations
We'll be discussing the planned scope and possibilities for the project, and then checking everyone has Unity and VS installed.
- Session 1.1: Enemy analysis from other games.
- Session 1.2: What are we going to implement.
- Session 1.3: Checking Unity and Visual Studio are installed.
Session 2: Creating Player and Environment
First, we're going to find open licensed art to use in our simple demo, so we have some visualization. Afterwards, we'll be creating a very simple player character, it'll be able to move and will be recognized by any other objects as the "player". Also we'll be setting up a very simple game world with some boxes and paths.
- Session 2.1: Finding art.
- Session 2.2: Creating a very simple player.
- Session 2.3: Setting up the game world.
Session 3: Enemies and AI
We're gonna be creating a few base enemies with different types of behavior and artificial intelligence.
- Session 3.1: Base Enemy data scripting
- Session 3.2: Fleeing enemy AI.
- Session 3.3: Kamikaze enemy AI.
- Session 3.4: Patrolling enemy AI.
- Session 3.5: Range attack enemy AI.
Session 4: Special Enemies and Random generation
This session is going to be an interesting addendum - we'll be making our enemies appear random, they'll have different qualities and will make the player be on their toes. Also we will create Special monsters which will be stronger than the normal ones.
- Session 4.1 : Base scripting.
- Session 4.2 : Adding random characteristics to enemies.
- Session 4.3: Creating Elite/Special monsters.
- Session 4.4: Fixes and Polish.
Session 5: Recap and Q&A
- Visual Studio