How to Create a Breakout-like Game in Game Maker
- Game Development
- Project length: 3h 02m
In this tutorial, we'll be going over the process of developing a game similar to 'Breakout' with Game Maker!
This tutorial will cover all the details that are necessary to build a simple version of Breakout. I'll take you through all of the steps, starting with the importing sprites all the way to adding collision events. Buckle up and tag along for the ride!
What are the requirements?
- Any copy of Game Maker!
- Free account with Canva.com
Session 1: Stylistic Decisions & Controls
- Creating, importing and editing sprites & turning them into objects
- Setting up the base template of the first of our rooms
- Adding functional controls for the player
- Administering gravity to the ball
Session 2: Introduction to Canva & More!
- Brief introduction on what Canva is
- Why use Canva?
- How Canva benefits your game development experience
- Creating menu buttons and a logo with Canva
- Setting up collision events to destroy the blocks and end the game
- Setting up bounce events for the ball
- Ending the game whether the player wins or loses
Session 3: So.. What Now?
- Android VS iOS Development
- Where do I release my game?
- Why would anyone play it?
- Game Maker Studio 1.4, Canva