How to Create Your Own Cryptocurrency in C++
- Cryptocurrency Basics
- Project length: 6h 35m
In this project, we will learn to create our very own cryptocurrency. Throughout this course we will learn how to fork a crypto project, renaming things in the project, creating our very own genesis block and changing parameters and values. At the end we'll have our own proof of work coin with a pre-mine and our own coins available. We'll also host the coin and let others download and join in with the network if they want. People should take part in this coin if they are interested in learning more about how cryptocurrencies work on a technical level, and if they ever wanted to create their own coin. Cryptocurrencies are a very interesting and highly sought after skill set currently, this course will help you start your change of career into crypto currencies.
Making your own Cryptocurrency
This course will cover all the details associated with creating your own cryptocurrency. We'll look at things such as the Proof of work (POW) algorithm, genesis block, premine's and QT wallets. You will be guided through the steps and concepts, starting from forking a popular cryptocurrency right up to changing the block reward structure. At the end of this course, you should have all the necessary skills you need to create your own coin.
What are the requirements?
- Linux or macOS
- Gcc or Clang
- And the most important is: desire to learn
What is the target audience?
- You want to be able to create your own cryptocurrency
- People who are interested in learning more about crypto
- Anyone looking to get involved in C++.
When are the streaming sessions (streaming schedule)?
Every Week Day & Sunday 17th - 5pm EST New York time.
Session 1: Finding a coin
- Discussing various coins out there
- Look at the top 3 candidates for Proof of Work
- Choosing between them
- Forking our coin
- Downloading and building on macOS & Linux (via vagrant)
Session 2: Chain Parameters & The Genesis Block
- Customizing the chain parameters to fit our coin
- Changing to block spacing
- Changing the address prefix
- What is the genesis block?
- Creating our own genesis block.
Websites used in video:
Genesis Block creator https://github.com/lhartikk/GenesisH0
Session 3: Testing the network
- Run the network locally
- Mining some initial blocks!
- Changing the reward structure and restarting the chain
Session 4: Reward Structure
- Adding in a premine
- Changing the hashing algorithm.
Links from the video:
Session 5: Launching the network
- Running the coin on a VPS
- Updating the network seeds
- Launching the network
- Building the final wallets.
Session 6 Addendum