How to create RPG game character in Blender: Modelling
- Game Development
- Project length: 5h 54m
This Blender project is focusing on modeling a transforming monster for an RPG game. The monster is going to be a mimic that neatly collapses into something that can be easily mistaken for a treasure chest in the dark luring the unsuspecting adventurer to their doom! It's going to be fun to create the monster, knowing that eventually, it will come to life - and hopefully, the viewers will have fun learning some tricks I picked up throughout my Blender career.
In this series of (hopefully, fun) tutorials, we will be creating a Mimic chest monster from scratch using Blender. This project is all the modelling and the UV unwrapping. I will take you through the creation explaining what's going on: using Blender's powerful modelling tools and things like using shape keys for modelling, sharp edges, partial symmetry, and more. Hope you'll have a blast.
What are the requirements?
- Having Blender (it's free)
- Basic Blender skills (navigation, mouse control, etc)
- Desire to learn
What is the target audience?
- Students learning modelling
- Beginner modellers in the industry looking to improve their skills
- People who love horror RPG games
How often the tutorials will be uploaded
I plan on creating a project once every one or two weeks, each of them covering the next aspect of creating a fully animated character.
Session 1: Creating the base mesh
Session 1.1: Creating the base mesh
Session 1.2: Creating the fangs and the mouth
Session 2 Detailing the mesh
- Working on the silhouette
Session 3 Adapting the mesh for monster transformation
- Adjusting length of limbs
- Checking how everything fits together
- Using Shape keys and adjusting as we go
Session 4 Sculpting
- Creating the high poly mesh for eventual normal baking
- Taking the detail to the next level
Session 5 Unwrapping
- Creating seams
- Using automated algorithms
Session 6: Presentation
- Setting up cameras and lights
- Enhancing the shots