How to use Git / Github and create an Open Source Project
- Project length: 3h 00m
Git is the ultimate version control system. In a combination with GitHub, we are going to learn how to create an open source project.
This tutorial will cover all the steps in the process of creating an open source project. We are first going to learn how to use Git / GitHub in order to manage our projects and to work with other people. We are also going to show how we can contribute to other open source projects. Then we will explore the best practices for successfully launching and maintaining an open source project. We are also going to mention common mistakes to avoid. We are going to close with a bonus section about the GitHub Desktop App.
What are the requirements?
- There are no specific requirements in order to gain from this tutorial. Some Linux terminal understanding would help but is not mandatory.
What is the target audience?
- Everyone interested in creating an open source project
- Everyone who wants to learn how to use Git and GitHub
- Everyone who wants to contribute to open source projects on GitHub
Session 1: Quick Git/Github Introduction
Session 2: What is Git?
- Whiteboard explanation of the most important Git concepts.
Session 3: What is GitHub?
- Whiteboard explanation of the most important GitHub concepts.
Session 4: Git Basics
- In this video we are going to talk about git init, add, commit and branches.
Session 5: Resolving a branch conflict
- In this video I am going to walk you step by step in the process of resolving a branch conflict.
Session 6: GitHub Basics
We are going to learn about the push / pull commands and upload our first repository on GitHub.
Session 7: Contributing on GitHub
- We are going to learn what is a Pull Request and how to contribute to other open source projects.
Session 8: In this section, we are going to discuss specifically about open source projects, the steps to successfully launch an open source project, maintain it and even delete it.
- Session 8.0: Intro to open source projects
- Session 8.1: Why open source?
- Session 8.2: Before you start an open source project
- Session 8.3: Understanding open source licenses
- Session 8.4: Exploring other projects on GitHub
- Session 8.5: Creating README and CONTRIBUTE files
- Session 8.6: Resolving a Pull-Request conflict and talking about open source project termination
Session 9: GitHub Gists
- In this session, we are going to learn about a very useful tool that is often used in open source projects.
Sessions 10.1 and 10.2: Gitignore file
- In these two videos you are going to learn about the "gitignore" file which will save you time and effort in your Git / GitHub projects.
Session 11: Where to go from here
- Small discussion about continuing your open source journey.